In 2022 and 2023, the Letitia Carson Legacy Project is focused on these activities:
- Creation of a digital history exhibit – DONE! Learn more
- Creation of a traveling exhibit – DONE and on the move!
- Archaeological exploration at the homestead site – Phase 1 DONE! Phase 2 in July 2023
- Small-scale, on-site programming, including field trips and public events, that are compatible with current management – Ongoing!
- Outreach to engage and activate the OSU community and external partners – Ongoing!
Juneteenth at Letitia Carson’s Land
- Our very first Juneteenth at Letitia Carson’s Land celebration was on Saturday, June 18, 2022. Folks toured the land and archaeology site, followed by a program led by Oregon Black Pioneers. (Photo below)
- Stay tuned for details for our 2nd annual Juneteenth celebration on the land.
Field trips and small group visits
- We welcomed the Letitia Carson Elementary School 4th grade to the land in October 2022, to connect what they are learning about her at school with the actual place where she lived. They also did an art project that became a beautiful exhibit for the school’s renaming ceremony.
- We have organized small group visits on request. For example, Linn-Benton NAACP members visited in the summer of 2022.
We will post future events here and on our (new) Instagram: LetitiaCarsonLegacyProject